1.1 Identify big questions facing Belize today.
Here are some big questions facing Belize today.
- How can Belize prepare for climate change?
- What will happen when the border dispute with Guatemala goes to the International Court of Justice?
- How can Belize get richer?
- Is it possible to end gang violence?
- Does Belize have good government?
- What is the impact of corruption?
What are some other BIG QUESTIONS?
1.2 Identify primary and secondary sources of information that can be used to study past and present human activities.
studying the past
studying the present
Every ten years, a population and housing census is conducted in Belize. The main purpose of the census is to count all the people resident in the country. The census also collects information on the structure, distribution and main socio-economic characteristics of the population.
TEACHERS: For data requests or to schedule a classroom presentation from the Statistical Institute of Belize (SIB) please contact SIB’s Data Dissemination Department at email email@example.com or telephone 822-2207 Ext. 209.
1.3 Explain how evidence can be evaluated in terms of how useful, trustworthy and reliable it is.
What happened to Amelia Earheart?
1.4 Describe the main cities, towns and selected villages of Belize.
- total area in square miles or square kilometres
- main natural features such as rivers and hills
- transportation links including roads, airstrips, ferry and bus services
- main streets
- notable buildings
- main economic activities
1.5 Identify the main inland, coastal and marine features of Belize.
1.6 Identify the approximate latitude and longitude of Belize and the exact coordinates of specified places within it.
1.7 Describe the location of Belize relative to other places in the region and the wider world.
what is relative location?
Relative location simply means describing the position of one place compared to another. This can be done as follows:
Using Descriptive Words
- Belize is a long way from China
- Canada is next to the U.S.A.
Rio de Janeiro in Brazil is 9200 km from London, England.
El Salvador is to the south of Belize.
Guatemala City is higher than Belize City.